Thursday, January 19, 2012

Homemade oven cleaner

I've been reading lots of different ways to clean your oven on Pinterest and I truly NEEDED to clean my oven.

I have a self cleaning oven (actually, I have a stove with two ovens) but my kids and I have asthma and we can't breathe when the self cleaner is running. Jimbo tries to remember to run it when he's home alone but it's just not at the top of his list of things to remember.....

He finally remembered to run the self cleaner just after Christmas and the next night I made some of my infamous "chicken sh!t" (I'll share that recipe another time) and it boiled over. Oopsie!

This weekend, my mom was here and I baked cherry turnovers for breakfast on Sunday. Smoke was rolling out of the oven and my was absolutely shocked that I hadn't cleaned the oven.

So, when the oven cooled, I gave cleaning the oven with a homemade oven cleaner I found on Pinterest a try....


I sprinkled the bottom of the oven with baking soda and then sprayed it with vinegar. I let it sit for 15-20 minutes while I was browning hamburger for Sloppy Joes for lunch. Then, I wiped it out while the Sloppy Joes were simmering in their sauce.

What a difference! Try it! You'll be amazed!

No comments:

Post a Comment